background

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

70 years ago today



70 years ago today this lovely couple was married. I am lucky to call them my Grandparents. I miss my Grandpa every day, and am so fortunate that my Grandma is going strong at 87! It doesn't seem possible that it's been 20 years since we had a big 50th anniversary party for them, but I remember being big as a house with our third baby, and here Emily is almost 20 years old, so there you go!


I put together this fabric covered album to hold family photos. First I started by covering the album with a thin layer of craft glue and then covered it with a thin piece of batting. After allowing it to dry, I cut the fabric I selected 1-1/2" bigger all the way around than what the album was. I turned under the edges and glued it down around the inside of the album. I used clothespins around the edges to keep it in place while the glue dried. Next I glued an antique doily onto the cover of the album, and then added a small pewter frame that I had put Grandma and Grandpa's wedding photo into. I finished it off with a matching ribbon bow and a "J" typewriter key representing their last name. I have made dozens of these over the years for family weddings, baby gifts, etc. Really a fun gift to make and you can get pretty creative!

Prim blessings,

Laurie

4 comments:

nancy huggins said...

That is such a special album you made..hat do you put inside the cover on the inside..I make albums also and I use hot glue and they are a great gift (like you said) and can be for any occasion and any theme...I have 1 daughter (after 9 sons) and I think she has at least 15 albums now at the age of 31...I am sure yours will be loved and appreciated

Sew Many Raggedies said...

What a blessing to still have your grandmother. All my grandparents and my mom are in heaven and I miss them all very much! You did a great job on your photo album!
Have a great night.
~Rene~

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

What an adorable couple they were!
Loving the photo album project you did, what a wonderful gift.
Prim Blessings
Robin

Laurie Johnson said...

Nancy: I turn under the raw edges before I glue them down, so it looks neat and tidy and then I don't need to put something on the inside cover. For the corners I kind of turn them mitered-like (how I make quilt binding) so it is also neat and not bulky. Oh my gosh....9 sons and THEN a daughter!!! Wow!!!! :)

Rene: Yes, I am very blessed to be 47 years old and still have my Grandma! I was her first grandchild, and was born right after her 40th birthday! I miss my other Grandma and both Grandpas so very much!

Robin: They were an even cuter couple when they were older! :)

Thanks all for the nice comments!!!

~Laurie