background

Saturday, April 30, 2011

A wonderful surprise!

My Mom's parents grew up on the prairie of Montana. Life was hard and neither had much growing up. Grandpa met and fell in love with the little red haired girl, and when she was just 17 years old, they borrowed $5 and were married. This was in 1933. By the time my Mom was born in 1945, they had moved to Washington State, had three older sons, and lived in the house my Grandpa built that they would live in for the rest of their lives.

My Grandpa was a carpenter, and worked hard to provide for my Grandma and his children. He was an amazing gardener, craftsman, and a wonderful Grandfather. Grandma was small, feisty, crafty, a great cook, and a bundle of energy! They were devoted to each other and were married for 70 years. We didn't know how Grandma would ever live without him when Grandpa passed away, but she was very strong, and with the help of my Mother, she was able to stay in her own home until she passed away 3 years after Grandpa.

My aunt and uncle moved into my Grandparent's house once they were both gone, and they've been cleaning. My Mom called tonight and told me that she located my Grandmother's wedding dress in my uncle's attic as well as some baby shoes that were my Grandma's. She wanted to know if I wanted them! Of course!!! I am so excited! I am anxious to see what the dress looks like, as it's hard to see in their wedding photo.


Mom is also sure that the baby shoes that she is giving me are those worn by my Grandma in the following baby picture.


I love old things, especially items that belonged to my ancestors. With the royal wedding in the news, I can't believe my good fortune at being given a precious gift from the past.

Prim blessings,

Laurie

2 comments:

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

That is a wonderful surprise.
What an awesome gift to receive something that was your Grandmothers and the wonderful memories that come with it.
Enjoy!
Prim Blessings
Robin

nancy huggins said...

I have some things from my Grandmother and I treasure them...can you believe that no one else wanted them..The best memories I have came from my Grandmother :)