background

Friday, February 25, 2011

Printing on fabric


Today I tried something new, and I am so happy with the results! I've done some research on how to print on fabric, and found a very easy way to get good results!

First I got some freezer paper at the grocery store. This has wax on one side. I cut a piece of pre-stained muslin to approximately 10" x 13". I cut a piece of freezer paper to the same size. Next I ironed the wax side of the freezer paper to the muslin. Then I used my rotary cutter to cut this conjoined piece of muslin/freezer paper down to 8-1/2" x 11" (standard printer paper size). Make sure you have a nice crisp edge, and the freezer paper is firmly affixed to the muslin. Next I opened up Microsoft Word and placed my graphic on it, centered with plenty of room all the way around. Then I sent my muslin piece through my printer, and yay, it didn't get caught or mess up my muslin, but came out perfect with this cute crow design on it! I stitched my crown design onto a piece of burlap to make a prim pillow.

My ink isn't waterproof (found that out the hard way with a previous craft project!), but this is just a decorative pillow and won't be washed. To get the coffee stained look I wanted, I pre-stained my muslin before I printed on it.

Very easy to do, and I foresee a bunch of projects in the future with this neat idea! I've included the crow graphic I used below. Click on it, and then right click to save. Let me know what you make!

Prim blessings,
Laurie



Crow clip art (officially it's a raven), courtesy of Florida Center for Instructional Technology: http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/

2 comments:

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Love it! Been wanting to try this for some time now. A little afraid it will get jammed in the printer. My husband would have a fit.
Thanks for sharing!
Prim Blessings!
Robin

Laurie Johnson said...

I was a little worried at first too, but the muslin with ironed-on freezer paper was only as thick as a heavy piece of cardstock, and it went right through my printer fine. I have a more expensive Epson printer that is very finicky and doesn't like to take cardstock, (this is an old HP that I used) but I'll hand it to my HP...it's a trooper with anything I throw through it, and I am so glad to be able to find inexpensive generic ink online for it that's only like $5 for black ink! Yay! I still can't figure out what makes printer ink so darn expensive! Good luck! :)